Wednesday, April 20, 2011

community service

Arms of an angel- Sara Mclaughlin
http://youtu.be/jVbkz_3lO3c

You've got a friend in me- Randy Newman
http://youtu.be/fIxigAck8mI

Earth Day Everyday- John denver
http://youtu.be/uQjpL9KEEjI

Hey Jude- Beatles
http://youtu.be/CfTrthOpKCA

Lean on me- Bill Withers




 I feel that the most prevalent aim was pleasure versus community service. Pleasure can be defined in many ways. You can find pleasure any many things that you do daily whether it associates with the physical, mental or emotional aspect of life. Relaxing, exercising, smoking, drinking or anything that you find enjoyable can be defined as something pleasurable which varies from person to person. Thinking of songs that brought the feeling of pleasure did not take me very long. On the other hand, I found it very difficult to think of songs that dealt with community service. Most songs in the pop culture today talk about things such as things that a lot of people find pleasurable sex, money, drugs, and things of that sort. Almost all songs that I listen to have to deal with partying and having fun. Also, many songs deal with life in general. They talk about things that give us pleasure such as love. But according to the Hindu culture they seek pleasure in a more intelligent moral way. They find pleasure in the essence of life. In the American pop culture it’s a different story. They seek pleasure with alcohol, drugs, sex, and many other ways. Rather than thinking rational about things like those that practice the Hindu culture, the American pop culture makes decisions spontaneously. With community service I feel in a sense they are the same. Thinking of others before themselves, going out of the way to help others that are in need and caring for the less fortunate. These two aims have helped me realize a lot about myself in general. I tend to seek pleasure in ways that are not morally correct. If I were to even practice even a small portion of the Hindu culture maybe I could find pleasure in other things that I would not normally. Also the community service aim helped me realize that sometimes I tend to be selfish and not think of others before myself. Although it is difficult for me to do that in a sense practicing this aim could help me break out of my selfish ways.





No comments:

Post a Comment